Tuesday, September 14, 2010

D - death cab for cutie, various and the decemberists, picaresque (2005) and her majesty the decemberists (2003)

this morning was the first time that this experiment got really difficult. dolly parton... the decemberists... dave matthews... david byrne.. so many favourites, so impossible to choose. energised from an excellent workout (my roundhouse kick really is coming on very nicely) i decided to take experimentation one step further, and listen to a band i have meaning to try out for aaaaages but who i don't have on my ipod. so off i went to death cab for cutie's myspace page.

firstly, can i say: what is with this vampire stuff taking over everything? the first track listed was from the twilight soundtrack, which really put me off. to me the track was reminiscent of our lady peace, in that same emo alt-rock kinda way. like all good teenagers of the nineties, i grew up on olp, but i really hated this song. whinge. luckily, things picked up from there. the upbeat, feel-good 'little bribes' (from the open door e.p) had me at hello, a quirky, cute song. 'grapevine fires' (narrow stairs, 2008) to me embodies that easygoing west coast vibe, but with a liberal dose of wistfulness. gibbons' vox in 'cath' (from the same album) reminded me more than a little of brian molko of placebo. 'crooked teeth' (plans, 2005) made me desperately long for the comfort of wilco. perhaps it is these throwbacks to bands i grew up with that left me with a delightful feeling of nostalgia. i'm glad i tried these guys out, and will seek out more of their stuff.

i'm not gonna lie, before i went to work i quickly snuck in 'sixteen military wives' and 'billy liar' by the decemberists. i couldn't resist the jiggy, sea-shanty-esque folk-pop that epitomises their earlier work. interestingly, wikipedia tells me they list death cab for cutie as one of their influences.

well whaddaya know.

No comments:

Post a Comment