Friday, November 26, 2010

P - pablo honey, radiohead (1993)

it's been a bleak couple of days in new zealand. as i wrote the other day, this sad mood drove me to mel parsons, and i just couldn't move on from there. i realised this morning that i was slipping into my old habits, listening to mel parsons and anna coddington almost non-stop - it just hasn't felt right to listen to anything too upbeat, and instead i've relied on warm, enveloping comfort music.

i decided this morning that i was losing the spirit of this exercise, so forced myself to move on. i intended to listen to "parallel lines", best of blondie, but like i say, the upbeat thing didn't work for me. radiohead seemed like an apt choice. i haven't listened to radiohead in years because i have it in my head that they're "depressing". silly me! radiohead are great. this is probably my favourite radiohead album, and i found it strangely and remarkably comforting today. along with the well-known 'creep', i was heartened to be reminded of the gorgeous accoustic ballad 'thinking about you' a song i have long adored. but mostly, i was thrilled to reconnect with 'anyone can play guitar' a staple of my teenage years, but a song that i had actually forgotten existed. and it's really excellent.




on another note, (and i'm probably losing myself a few readers here) (not that i had them to spare) i'm not sure how i feel about the utterly sanctimonious bono "sharing our grief" in auckland last night. i suppose it'd be impossible not to make mention of the circumstances our country finds itself in, but i find his righteousness unbearable, and it's hard to find anything he says or does sincere anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment