Thursday, February 24, 2011

On the kindness of strangers

As I was lugging a rather heavy bag down the street this morning, a kindly bus driver gave me a free ride to work. I had my coins out ready to pay, but for some reason that I still can't figure out, he decided to let me ride for free. There's no way he could have known I was shifting my things so that a 'quake stricken family could take refuge in our house - it was just a random act of kindness. A small gesture but it made my day.

I think this poem is beautiful, and a timely reminder of the importance of doing nice things for strangers.


     -- Optimistic Little Poem --

Now and then it happens
that somebody shouts for help
and somebody else jumps in at once
and absolutely gratis

Here in the thick of the grossest capitalism
round the corner comes the shining fire brigade
and extinguishes, or suddenly
there's silver in the beggar's hat.

Mornings the streets are full
of people hurrying here and there without
daggers in their hands, quite equably
after milk or radishes.

As though in a time of deepest peace.

A splendid sight.

     -- Hans Magnus Enzensberger (translation: David Constantine)

No comments:

Post a Comment