Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Blackwater @ Mighty Mighty, Thursday 2 June

One of the things I loved the most about growing up in Dunedin was seeing new bands giving it a go. A couple of weekends ago at the Battle of the Bands in Dunedin, I realised how much I missed it - there's something kind of awesome about watching bands experiment and grow. The Ethnomusicologist accused me of being patronising, but it's far from it: it's one of my favourite things to watch new bands find their sound.

I've fallen off the wagon a bit in experimenting with new bands in Wellington, so was determined not to miss newcomers Blackwater, playing Mighty Mighty's Wanted Sessions last Thursday night. (As an aside, I applaud the concept of the Wanted Sessions - a fortnightly country evening at Mighty and a delicious way to spend a Thursday evening.)

I suspect this was one of Blackwater's first gigs. A 5-piece (bass, 2 guitars, a little set of drums and a lap steel) they are a lot of people when trying to create a delicate, intimate sound. Fronted by bold female vocals including, at times, some quite lovely 2-part harmonies, their first few numbers were quieter, experimental tracks. Unfortunately at times the bass overpowered the real star, which was the lap steel. The lead vocalist has a nice voice but was also occasionally overpowered by her band. I'd love to hear them with just an acoustic guitar and lap steel.

But a few songs into the short set saw the acoustic guitar let loose - and things got all kinds of awesome. This upbeat, more country-inspired vibe was an infinitely better sound. The band grew into their set, and were at their absolute best when their versatile little lappy player grabbed an acoustic and a mic and led us through some fantastic country ditties. In contrast to the earlier numbers, this was upbeat, vibrant and not at all over-thought; just gorgeous straightforward country tunes. When they stick to this style, nothing gets lost, the numerous instruments complement each other, everything fits; it's raucous and loud and excellent.

This band is not perfect, but they're really good fun. I'll see them again, and I hope as they grow they'll realise their strength is in upbeat, not intimate, numbers. It was a short and sometimes confusing set; I walked home not quite sure what I'd just encountered, but certain that whatever it was, it'd left me with a big goofy smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment