Saturday, October 6, 2012

Life's a Beach


You could be forgiven for thinking that I've done nothing but swan around a pool and at the beach recently. You'd be correct. As previously reported, I'm very happily in Destin, Florida, where the beach is pristine, the lifestyle laid back, and the sunsets long and lazy. 



It's not all sunshine and flowers, though, oh no. It's rained, twice in the last two weeks. The indignity! And so this morning, I passed a couple of grey hours listening to First Aid Kit's studio debut, 'The Big Black and the Blue' (2010). 

I totally love and admire this band. They're clearly incredibly hard working, as evidenced by two albums in as many years, and a seemingly constant tour schedule - and their earnestness just totally charms me. I'm constantly amazed by these girls' ability to sound world-weary and mature, at the tender ages of 19 and 22. Their lyrics have this kind of honesty and insight about them, that belies their ages in every way. In contrast, I loved seeing them at Coachella where their age was more endearingly obvious. But over and above all this, they just write gorgeous music. I have always been a bit of a sucker for 'Ghost Town', but tracks like 'Hard Believer' and 'Josefin' have a striking kind of catchiness to them that I just can't get enough of.  

And then there's their voices. They are phenomenal. I'd almost say - huge call - that I can't remember the last time I picked up on a female vocalist, or vocalists, that struck me with the same intensity, depth, and richness that these wonderful sisters possess.

Honestly, I do prefer their second album, 'The Lion's Roar', produced by the inimitable Mike Mogis, which to my mind demonstrates a bit more personality (and which was on repeat in my apartment in Mexico for a good few months earlier this year); but that said I actually think that's a great thing, because I just love watching bands grow into themselves. But the 2010 album is a gentle, easy album to listen to. It's genial and heart-warming, and has a clever homogeneity that tells a soothing, lovely story. Food for the soul, and perfect with a cup of coffee on a rainy Friday morning in Florida. 

I am super, duper, mega excited to be in possession of a ticket to see these lovely ladies in Dallas next weekend. I can't wait to see them for the second time in six months, and at their own headline show. 

Meanwhile, Florida remains a pretty lovely place to be. Here's some pictures of the sunset last night.

Thursday night, gypsy styles

Just another day at the office



No comments:

Post a Comment