Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Smiths, The Very Best of The Smiths (2001)

I'm a touch grumpy because I wrote a really long entry for this album and somehow in all of my technological competence (read: none) managed to delete it all. Luckily for the grumpy technophobe among us all, this delightful little compilation contains all kinds of curmudgeonly lyrics to boost the spirit.

Like any self-respecting child of the 80s, I've listened to the various tracks on this album hundreds of times. (I confess I was a latecomer to The Smiths, indeed well into my university years before I garnered a true appreciation of their genius.) I'm always amazed, though, at the ability of a certain song to transport you to a certain place and time, despite having listened to it squillions of times, in squillions of places. The opener to this compilation, 'Panic' will forever sound to me like a tiny dark bar with a 'no stag parties' sign on the door, just off the old town square of Prague. [As an unnecessary aside, I note that these days M1 'secret lounge' now features bikini clad babes, horrific electronica music, and images of some kind of purple veleur booths on its website. I guess the stag party market has, indeed, spoken. But back when M1 bar actually was a secret, it was a favourite destination for 20 crown beers, excellent music, and being hit on by underage Russians.] I'm hoping to be back in Prague for a short visit in a few weeks, which I was obviously already excited about, but listening to this album this morning kind of cemented it for me - I can't wait to get back.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is I love about The Smiths. Perhaps it's just that I love Morrissey. The man is a genius. (And, if I'm honest, kind of a babe.) Which is not to suggest I don't also think Johnny Marr is a genius. Cos he is, and I love his work too. But there's something about Morrissey's incredible talent, blazing intelligence, and defiant arrogance that kind of draws me in. Yes, there's more than a little to psycho-analyse there.

This release was just another controversial step in the band's history, but there's little denying it's a collection of excellent songs. What I love about The Smiths is strangely reminiscent of my last post - it's these often dark, terribly clever lyrics, overlaid with a jangly pop vibe. More often than not, it seems I'm attracted to wickedly intelligent, and often cyncial lyricists, and The Smiths are no exception. Morrissey captures the post-punk era with scathing social and political commentary, and Johnny Marr balances him out with his brilliant, jaunty indie-pop riffs. They are a tragic, beautiful combination.

Admittedly I own this release alongside most of Morrissey's solo back catalogue, and alongside many of The Smiths' studio albums. But this is a fantastic standalone listen and I thumb my nose at those who claim it is 'Smiths lite'. (I realise fans of The Smiths are probably some of the most irritable fans of all, so I would risk rage and vitriol with this post.... but that would rely on anyone actually reading it.) The Smiths have influenced pretty much everyone who's awesome, they're difficult and tricky and messed up, but all the best people are, and besides, they made great music. And this compilation (I originally typo-ed 'complication', which seems somehow apt) is a very good overview of that great music.

Besides, it puts a stupid cheesey smile on my face as I walk to work, cos I love it. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment