Thursday, September 13, 2012

I've Gone to Look For America


I have left Mexico many, many times. In the space of the last 8 months, I’ve left about 4 times, and like a  vortex I keep getting drawn back in. But this morning is the first time I can remember that I haven’t bawled my eyes out as I go. Which is not to say I don’t love Mexico anymore; quite the opposite. It’s to say that I’m finally so sure of how much I love Mexico that I know I’ll be back.

It is sad to leave behind friends and such an exciting, challenging country. But I am so excited to meet up with my beautiful family for our first family holiday in many, many years. And I’m excited to finally have the time and the flexibility to wander about the US of A – which I have always wanted to do, but time, in particular, never allowed.

Now that I am kind of used to it, there is a real joy in travelling on a one-way ticket. Previously, this would have scared me senseless, because I like plans and certainty and budgets and spreadsheets. But right now, I love that I simply do not know what my plan is after spending the next week with my family, and that I could just pick a spot on the map and go there. This flexibility is totally invigorating and exciting and yea, a bit scary. But I have found my wandering spirit again, and she is awesome.

Speaking of awesome, check out this First Aid Kit cover of Paul Simon’s “America”. I can’t wait to listen to these beautiful ladies as I take off over this beautiful country for a while. I’ll be back. I just don’t know when. 


No comments:

Post a Comment